exporting SHELL in dos/windows

From: psmith
Subject: exporting SHELL in dos/windows
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:01:13 -0500

Hi all;

For POSIX compatibility the next version of GNU make doesn't export any
value of SHELL that you set in your makefile.  Instead, the value that
was taken from the environment when make starts is passed on in the
environment of the sub-shell.  Note this DOES NOT impact the way in
which make chooses which shell to invoke commands in: that still uses
the value set in the makefile or inherited from the environment.

This only impacts the value of the SHELL environment variable which is
passed in the environment to sub-commands.

If you want the make variable value to be exported you can export it
explicitly with "export SHELL" then the make value will be passed
through the environment.

Eli doesn't think this new behavior is appropriate for the DOS port; he
would like the old behavior back.  Is the same true for the various
Windows ports?  Does this change break things there?

Cheers!