Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:33:20 +0200

> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:27:04 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
>
>   ez> If you agree, we could ask Diff to ignore differences in these
>   ez> lines (using the "-I REGEXP" switch with a suitable REGEXP).
>   ez> Would that work?
>
> The problem is that GNU make hasn't, up to now, required GNU diff; any
> diff will do.

There's no other Diff on Windows except GNU Diff.  We could make this
switch be used on Windows only.

> I don't really want to make GNU diff a prerequisite for running the
> regression test suite.

Alternatively, we could try this switch on every platform, and if it
works, use it.  On Windows, it will always work.

> for 3.81 it seems easiest to figure out
> a way to get the test suite to determine the "fully qualified" pathname
> and use that in the base files, instead of the output of pwd.

If that can be done easily, yes.  It might not be; the qualified file
name issue on Windows is a hopeless mess.