setting SHELL variable

From: Jonathan Baccash
Subject: setting SHELL variable
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:06:07 -0700

I'm having a helluva time setting the SHELL variable in GNU Make 3.81beta3.

I do this:
$(warning SHELL=$(SHELL))
SHELL := cmd.exe
$(warning SHELL=$(SHELL))

And I get:
Makefile:1: SHELL=C:/mks/mksnt/sh.exe
Makefile:3: SHELL=C:/mks/mksnt/sh.exe

However, I notice that the behavior for simple commands before setting
SHELL is the behavior of sh.exe, and the behavior for simple commands
after setting SHELL is the behavior of cmd.exe.  Is this the expected
behavior or not?

I believe that the reason the SHELL variable is not being set is line
main.c:754.  Shouldn't it be sh_found = 1?  Thanks,

Jon.