Re: make-3.81rc1 mingw not failing on 'g++ -M' error

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make-3.81rc1 mingw not failing on 'g++ -M' error
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:58:42 +0200

> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:11:31 -0600
> From: Matt England <address@hidden>
>
> In a different part of my real makefile (which is much more complex the one
> in this thread), make will continue to run some of the make/compile jobs in
> the background, asynchronously after experience an error, even though I
> wasn't running 'make -j'.

Sorry, I looked at your transcript, and I cannot make heads or tails
out of it.  Can you explain how do you see that ``jobs are run
asynchronously in the background after an error'', and then show in
the transcript the evidence of this asynchronous operation?

Is it possible that some or all of your rules' commands use the same
technique as I commented on in another message: i.e. that they issue
multiple commands as a single shell command line?  Could this explain
what you see?

> If someone wants my big, hairy set of Makefiles, they are welcome to
> it...but they are sizable.  As much as I'd like to boil this down to a
> "minimal" Makefile to give to this community, this could be a significant
> effort to reproduce this problem in another Makefile.

Please show at least the parts that generate the commands you show in
the transcript.  They seem all to come from a single rule, perhaps a
pattern rule or some such.  It's impossible to debug this without
seeing at least that much.

> Finally the make job stopped on another error.  :)

But I didn't see any other errors, this one was the first!