Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin

From: Bill Hoffman
Subject: Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:50:11 -0400

At 01:21 PM 8/17/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 12:38:29PM -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>>At 11:42 AM 8/17/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:23:35AM -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote
>
>I'm not a make maintainer and don't really care about this one way or
>the other.  I was just pointing out that I thought it made sense to do
>things this way.  Personally, I think that things like "#ifdef
>__<OSNAME>__" to code, should be avoided although I don't see a way
>around it in this case, if the current way of handling things is
>maintained

I am not a make maintainer either, and care even less than you.

At this point I think we are nit-picking.   The changes are relatively
small, and there are several ways to get it to work.   Is there
a general buy in for the concept of this change?   Or am I just
wasting my time tweaking the patch.   The nit-picking issues
should really be decided by a make maintainer which means someone
other than you or me.   I will await instruction/comment from
a make maintainer before creating a third patch.  Or perhaps a make
maintainer can make the changes as they fit.

In summary,  HAVE_DOS_PATHS needs a few minor changes to compile under
cygwin.   The patch given and the emails show a few ways to do this change.
The next step is to make HAVE_DOS_PATHS the default for cygwin builds.
Is that acceptable to the gnu make maintainers?  I will be willing to test
any other patches.

-Bill