Re: mingw make problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mingw make problems
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:10:34 +0300

> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:22:20 -0400
> From: Bill Hoffman <address@hidden>
>
> #broken
> all:
>       c:/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio\ .NET\ 2003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe
> "a.c" "b.c"
>
> #CreateProcess(C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe,C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe -c "c:/Program\
> Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio\ .NET\ 2003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe  \"a.c\"
> \"b.c\"",...)

I cannot reproduce this problem here: the equivalent command works for
me (I don't have Studio .Net installed to try the exact same command).
Here are some factors that could be responsible for the difference:

  . I built my Make binary myself, i.e. it's not the binary that is
    available from the MinGW site.

  . I use a shell that is a native Windows program, not a Cygwin
    program.  (There could be some quoting conflict between the Cygwin
    and non-Cygwin binaries.)

Btw, I suggest to use ".." quoting instead of the backslashes, as the
former works even without a Unixy shell on PATH.

> # broken
> allgcc:
>       c:/cygwin/bin/gcc.exe  "a.c" "b.c"
> #c:/cygwin/bin/gcc.exe  "a.c" "b.c"
> #CreateProcess(C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe,C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe -c
> "c:/cygwin/bin/gcc.exe  \"a.c\" \"b.c\"",...)

This also works for me.

It is noteworthy that in both cases, the trace from the CreateProcess
call is exactly the same you show.  So Make seems to work identically
on our both machines, which probably means the first of the above two
possible explanations is not what happens.