Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin

From: William A. Hoffman
Subject: Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:18:11 -0400

At 04:56 PM 8/17/2006, Paul D. Smith wrote:
>Hi all;
>
>Please don't dispair if I'm not as communicative as I usually am.  For
>those not aware, in the "real world" I've decided to leave my previous
>position (of 13+ years!) and take on a new challenge.  As a result,
>there is some turbulence in my life at the moment and one consequence
>of this is I've not gotten my email situation ironed out completely to
>my satisfaction... this means I'm not reading email as consistently as
>I'd like.
>
>I will sort it out!

Thanks, belive it or not this was not on my list of things to do for
the past few days.

>In the meantime, I do think that the idea you are discussing is a good
>one, provided Chris and the other Cygwin folks agree.  Please continue
>to work with Eli (et.al.) to polish up the patch.  I will be providing
>input as I have it.
I look forward to your input.

>One thing: my original idea was to have a configure option that
>enabled the DOS path capabilities.  I note some here are advocating a
>configure test which simply sets the HAVE_DOS_PATHS option if Cygwin
>is detected, rather than leaving it up to the user.  Is it the case
>that people might want to build a Cygwin version of make _WITHOUT_ DOS
>path support?

Good question.  So, you are thinking this would be a --have-dos-paths option
to configure?

My configure.in skills are a bit rusty since I am a cmake developer I don't use
it that
much. :)   So, I would appreciate some help in that area.

The issues remain:

1. make HAVE_DOS_PATHS work when WINDOWS32  is not defined.
2. come up with a way to set PATH_SEPARATOR
3. Do we want to support c:\path\foo in the cygwin path, or just
c:/path/foo?   If only one some more work needs to be done.
4. fix the configure script to have an option or just always set HAVE_DOS_PATHS
on
cygwin.

-Bill