Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin

From: William A. Hoffman
Subject: Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:19:05 -0400

At 02:26 PM 8/18/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 01:58:14PM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>At 01:52 PM 8/18/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>For the record, Eli, I REALLY appreciate the time and attention you're
>>>giving this matter.
>>
>>I will second that.  At the end of the day, the right thing is getting
>>done.  Thanks.
>
>And, the "right thing" was first proposed more than a month ago.  Who'd
>have thought?

So, what happened?  I was obviously not paying attention a month ago.
Basically, my story went like this.   Someone at Kitware got a new
dual dual core windows box.   nmake is not able to do parallel builds,
and the IDE builds do not do a great job of it.   So, I asked him to try
gmake from cygwin with the windows cmake.   It failed.  I sort of scratched
my head, because I knew I had tested this on my machine a month ago.  I even
made some fixes for the cmake 2.4.1 release to support gmake from cygwin.  I
then
found the difference was the version of gmake from cygwin.   And the rest,
you are all too aware of.  :)

BTW, gmake -j8 on the machine really rocks.  It beats the MS IDE by a few
minutes
on a large project.

-Bill