Re: make alters subprocess environment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make alters subprocess environment
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:08:05 +0200

> From: "Dave Korn" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:34:07 +0100
>
> >> +PATH=c:\program files\imagemagick-6.3.3-q16;"c;\Program Files\Python25";
> >>  ^^^^                                          ^
>
> > The other problem is because you have quotes around that directory
> > name.  Why did you do that? Windows doesn't need such directories to
> > be quoted.  Remove the quotes and it will work.
>
>   I'm curious, what does make *think* it's doing here?

It's an undocumented feature: the Windows port of Make has code to
handle PATH values that use `:' as a directory delimiter, or even
mixed `;'- and `:'-delimited values.  It handles that by replacing all
colons by semicolons _except_ when the colon is after a drive letter.
It detects drive letters by in effect checking for an `X:' pattern
(where X is a letter) _immediately_ after a delimiter (be it a `:' or
a `;').  Using quoted directory names defeats that logic, since the
drive letter is no longer immediately after the preceding delimiter.

See w32/pathstuff.c for the gory details.