Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Should place=locality index be merged with str

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Should place=locality index be merged with street index?
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:40:37 +0100

Hi,

2010/1/6 Jeroen van Rijn <address@hidden>:
> Would it make sense to index e.g. "Les Trois Fontaines" be indexed as
> "Trois Fontaines, Les" to
> a) Index it under T instead of L
> b) Use the suffix ", <prefix>" to avoid confusion with the usage of
> "Streetname (<prefix>)" by street names.

Yes it would make sense and it IMHO a good idea. I would prefer to
have potential users (Lionel and Valérie-Emma) advice though.

> Might this also avoid the clash with street names in the codebase?

I don't think so. The more I think about it, the more I think we need
to handle separately street and locality prefixes before merging and
sorting them.

> (I've cloned the repository, but I've not yet managed to dig into the
> code).

If your interested, relevant code is get_street_by_name()

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/ocitysmap/street_index.py#n533
which calls

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/ocitysmap/street_index.py#n501
which itself calls the method user_readable_street() into i18n module:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/ocitysmap/i18n.py#n113

Regards,
d.