Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Catalan language code, first attempt

From: Joan Montané
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Catalan language code, first attempt
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:55:33 +0100

2010/1/7 Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden>:

> Thanks! I've committed it, and it's now live on
> http://www.maposmatic.org.

Great!!!

> See
> I had to put the word "Spain" in Catalan. It seems it was Espanya...

Well, Spain in Catalan is Espanya, that's correct. But the description
string is "Map Index Language:", so, I think it's better to put some
language reference, with contry code if needed. Something like Catalan
in Spain (Català a Espanya).
I know Catalan is special case. A language without state, but the
situation is similar to Switzerland (diferent languages for the same
state) or Scottish Gaelic at UK.

> Is this the traditional way maps are done in Spain ? Do you have
> examples of printed city maps for Spanish cities ?
This is the traditional way, sure. I will search some printed maps and
post some links.

> With such abbreviations, how do you know if a street is a Camino, a
> Camí, a Carrer or a Carretera ?

Well, it's "common sense". These words are only descriptons of street
types. In Catalonia we are bilingual, so the "reader" read such
abbreviations as Camí or Camino without problem. Many abbreviatons are
equal or similar. Usually, the maps doesn't mix "way types" so, all
streets are "Camí" and "Avinguda" or all streets are "Camino" or
"Avenida".

Of course, as streets are indexed by "properly name", there is no
mistake in searching streets.

Carrer de la Mar ---> Mar, c. (in Catalan)
Calle de la Mar ---> Mar, c/ (in Spanish)
Avinguda de la Mar ---> Mar, av. (in Catalan)
Avenida de la Mar ---> Mar, av.(in Spanish)

Thanks all you for your work

Joan Montané