Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Problem with german city borders

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Problem with german city borders
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:55:13 +0100

Hello,

Thanks for bringing this issue to the list. We definitely need to find
a solution to this problem, so that all German cities can be rendered.

Le Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:52:19 +0100,
Matthias Meißer <address@hidden> a écrit :

> the problem is, that maposmatic doesn't recognize the german city
> borders. The problem is, that the german borders are modelled a
> little bit different than the french ones.
> We have differenz levels of cities, too (level 4 ( a own state),
> level 6 (completely independent of a area) or level 7).
> The description is here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Grenze

For example, Berlin is a Länder, so it has an administrative boundary
of level 4. But Berlin is also a city, so why doesn't it have an
administrative boundary of 8 ?

In France, Paris is both a departement (level 6) and a city (level 8).
Both administrative boundaries exist, because Paris exists at both
administrative level.

See:
 http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=49962699 for
 the level 6 boundary of Paris (departement level)
 http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=49949948 for
 the level 8 boundary of Paris (departement level)

IMO, since Berlin is both a city and a Länder, it should also have
several administrative boundaries of different levels, even if
geographicaly, the boundaries are the same.

> What about to collect the city landuse nodes instead and to try to
> find the corresponding boundary relation instead? This will make the
> result independend from the boundary level.

What do you mean by "city landuse nodes" ?

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                         http://thomas.enix.org
Promouvoir et défendre le Logiciel Libre http://www.april.org