Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] Danish translation

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] Danish translation
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:30:23 +0200

Hello Esben,

Le Tue, 03 Apr 2012 11:11:56 +0200,
Esben Damgaard <address@hidden> a écrit :

> >   * You haven't translated all the strings in this file. Would it be
> >     possible to translate the remaining ones? The current version of the
> >     file is visible at
> >
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/ocitysmap.po
> I'm a bit unsure how I should translate them. I guess the \302\215 is
> the copyright character? It should just be left alone?

Yes, that's the copyright character. Just copy/paste \302\215 at the
right location in the danish string.

> The different
> %(year)d should also just be left alone? I just haven't seen the
> trailing d and s.

The %(year)d string will automatically be replaced by the year of the
rendering time. So just put it wherever is appropriate in the danish
translation.

> I'll make a patch later.
> >   * We don't have the logic for the Danish language to properly process
> >     street names, as detailed at
> >
> > http://wiki.maposmatic.org/doku.php?id=dev:i18n:i18n_support&#language_specific_code_in_ocitysmap.
> >     Would you have the time to work on this? If it's too
> >     complex/difficult, we can work with you to implement this.
> I don't know of any changes here. Maybe I'll find some when I try it out.
> Perhaps there could be some errors when sorting. In danish it's
> "regular" sorting, but then we add æ,ø,å in that order to the alphabet.
> But I think Python can sort correctly if you somehow tell it that it's
> danish.

If I generate the da_DA locale on the server, then it will
automatically do locale-based sorting.

Where we need help is for street prefixes, if danish uses prefixes. For
example, in French, Italian or Spanish, you have things like:

        Rue de la Paix
        Calle de la Casa

Which mean "Peace Street" and "House Street". But since the "Street"
word is in front, we want to transform the street names into:

        Paix (Rue de la)
        Casa (Calle de la)

So that "Paix" and "Casa" are indexed properly in the street index.

I have no idea how danish is constructed in terms of streets names, so
I can't say for danish, but I hope this explanation gave you enough
background to determine whether such a mechanism is needed for danish
or not.

> >   * We don't have a Danish translation for the MapOSMatic website. This
> >     would definitely be very nice to have. If you're interested, I can
> >     generate the .po file for you.
> You can try, and I'll see if I get the time to translate it :)

Here it is:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic.git/plain/www/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/django.po

There will be small updates in the future, but the bulk of the strings
shouldn't change too much now.

Thanks!

Thomas
--