Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Unicode NSIS

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Unicode NSIS
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 03:47:29 +0200

Ron Aaron <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Would it be possible to remove the 'ANSI' NSIS, and replace it with the
> Unicode one?  http://www.scratchpaper.com/
>
> It is much friendlier for making multi-lingual installs.

I fully agree that NSIS should support Unicode.

But I'm not sure about that fork. The website states:

|   I'm only trying to keep this reasonably up-to-date until as such
|   time the Unicode support changes get merged into the mainstream NSIS
|   (which I hope is soon).

Is it really worth the trouble if it is just a fork that will
eventually be merged back into NSIS? We'd change to the fork,
and some time later, we'll have to change back. That's why I
personally won't put any effort into this.

However, if you feel differently, then just create a patch to
src/nsis.mk which uses that fork instead of the original NSIS.

Or, create a patch based on this project that changes an
original NSIS into a Unicode-NSIS, and provide this patch
as "src/nsis-unicode.patch".

Either way, I'd include that contribution into mingw-cross-env,
for as long as the fork remains up-to-date with the latest
NSIS version.

Greets,

    Volker

--