Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] guile

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] guile
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 00:02:02 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 15 April 2010 01:37, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Guile doesn't really need a native guile to build itself. The native
> > guile is just used to generate the "guile-procedures.txt", which
> > seems to be just a documentation text file.
> >
> > By suppressing that we can eliminate the whole need for a native guile.
> >
> > http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/08e0d4db0973
> [...]
> For my future reference, how do you find those make options like
> "schemelib_DATA"? I thought configure generates the makefile and look
> for something like --without-doc etc.

This is a "standard trick" for me, but maybe it's really worth
explaining.

First, I indeed looked for a corresponding ./configure option,
which would have been the cleanest way, but as usualy there wasn't
any such option that worked.

So I took a look into the Makefile.am files, but none of them really
mentioned the docs. Usually you find documentation filenames in
variables like "man_MANS", "dist_man_MANS", "html_DATA", "INFO_DEPS"
or similar. Then it's pretty clear what to do.

This case, however, needed some more investigation. First, I saw
from the error messages that many *.doc files were put into the guile
script that caused the trouble. That's why I had the idea that this
might just be documentation files. The script's output was supposed
to be written into a file "guile-procedures.texi", so I looked for
variables that contain the filename "guile-procedures.texi", but I
didn't find any.

I could have further investigated on this, looking for files that
have "guile-procedures.texi" as a dependency. But I found a faster
way: In the aborted "tmp-guile/guile-*/libguile/" directory, I just
ran "make" again, which immediately reproduced the error. Then I ran
"make -d" and looked at the debug output. Now I could simply read
that "guile-procedures.texi" was generated in order to generate
"guile-procedures.txt", which was a direct target.

So I searched the Makefile.am for a variable that contains this
filename, and found "schemelib_DATA". I performed a quick test,
still directly within the "tmp-guile/guile-*/libguile/" subdirectory:

    make schemelib_DATA=

which almost immediately succeeded. Then I changed "guile.mk"
accordingly and restarted the whole guile build via "make guile",
which also succeeded. That's it. :-)

Greets,

    Volker

--