Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] blas, cblas, lapack, suitesparse [was Re: sui

From: Alois Schlögl
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] blas, cblas, lapack, suitesparse [was Re: suitesparse support - help request]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:33:05 +0200

On 07/15/2010 09:43 AM, Volker Grabsch wrote:
Alois Schlögl<address@hidden>  schrieb:
I'm asking to include lapack.mk into mingw-cross-env, it provides
libblas.a and liblapack.a.
It looks okay to me. However, I'm a bit behind with including
contributions, so please be patient with me. :-)

However, I notices that your blas and cblas scripts have an
important flaw:

$(PKG)_SUBDIR   := BLAS
$(PKG)_FILE     := blas.tgz
$(PKG)_WEBSITE  := http://www.netlib.org/
$(PKG)_URL      := http://www.netlib.org/blas/blas.tgz
$(PKG)_SUBDIR   := CBLAS
$(PKG)_FILE     := cblas.tgz
$(PKG)_WEBSITE  := http://www.netlib.org/
$(PKG)_URL      := http://www.netlib.org/blas/blast-forum/cblas.tgz
Both do not download the source package of the given version.
Instead, they seem to download always the latest one. This is
almost never a good idea:

It can silently introduce build issues, and makes them
especially hard to reproduce and thus to debug. Also note that
Mingw-cross-env's checksum test will make your test script
unusable as soon as upstream releases a new version.

Greets,
Volker

Hi Volker,

Netlib does not provide version numbers for cblas and blas. A possible explanation can be found in the FAQ, http://www.netlib.org/blas/faq.html#1 which says that the package is the "Fortran 77 reference implementation of the BLAS". I guess this means that there are no more changes expected, and therefore no version numbers are provided. The latest changes in cblas are from 2003, so CBlas is really, really stable and a new release (casing a break of this script) is very unlikely. Therefore I suggest to include cblas.mk, despite the missing versioning.

Since blas is also build with lapack (which has a version numbering), blas.mk could be omitted.

Alois