Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] TinyXML integration

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] TinyXML integration
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:55:06 +0200

Alexandre Bacquart <address@hidden> schrieb:
> After dealing with Xerces successfully, I quickly noticed a sad fact:
> it's too damn big for what I need about XML. The static library adds
> ~35Mo to the final executable.

Although I generally agree, I don't think it's really 35 MB.
Did you strip the debugging symbols before measuring?

Also note that static linking _should_ include just the part
of the library that is really used.  (However, the C++ language
often forces one to introduce dependencies between components
that aren't really necessary, which defeats that nice mechanism.)

> Well, undoubtly Xerces has good reasons to be that big, but I don't need
> a rocket launcher to kill my flies so I decided to use something
> lighter. My first focus was on libxml2. But if libxml2 is a lot lighter
> than Xerces (~4Mo and already integrated in MCE), I found there was
> something even lighter than that: tinyxml (~120Ko, sure tiny in
> comparison)

General hint: Although Xerces is bigger, it is also more complete
and much more bugfree than libxml2. I don't know about TinyXML,
but be prepared to deal with an incomplete XML implementation.

> So I decided to integrate it in MCE. Please see attached patch.

I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the contribution!

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch