[Mingw-cross-env-list] giflib package is miscompiled

From: Dmitry Groshev
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] giflib package is miscompiled
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:11:16 +0400

Hello!

While building new versions of libraries for MinGW for my own use, I
used mingw-cross-env as one source of inspiration. And during the
process, it came to my notice that giflib library which
mingw-cross-env creates, is in fact working wrong. That is, it can
neither read nor write valid GIF files - which is easily ascertained
by compiling any one of its included uitilities, say 'gifinfo.exe',
and trying it on some GIF file.

This is because, in default configuration, giflib doesn't set binary
mode when opening files. Which doesn't matter on *nix, but on Windows,
files get opened in text mode - which, naturally,  causes corruption
of GIF datastream when reading or writing.

The solution to this problem is simple. Tell giflib to use binary mode
when configuring:
"CPPFLAGS=-D_OPEN_BINARY ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX --host=$TARGET"

--
-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev =-