Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE as virtual environment (python needs to r

From: Václav Šmilauer
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE as virtual environment (python needs to run itself natively during installation)
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 10:34:46 +0200

A solution which might work is to compile only the base python
interpreter (no compiled modules; that works already) first, so that
headers can be installed and other compiled libs, which require
python (boost-python, pyqt4, ...) can be cross-compiled. As a second
step (those would be additional targets for MXE, not required in
itself), python installation would be finished/run on the target
(through wine, with some minimal and reproducible setup).
While this is an entirely valid approach, it is not the
way we usually go in MXE. We're using Wine for testing,
but not as part of the build system.

However, if this is the only way you get it work, by all
means you should go that route.
I think I will try the compilation in virtual environment as the first step. I would attempt proper cross-compilation afterwards -- I guess patching python and getting those patches upstream would be beyond my capacity (mostly time-wise) at this moment.

1. If you use wine for testing, is there some infrastructure ready, like pre-generating wine configuration and such? Would you mind enabling wiki at github, so that I could make notes there, which would be eventually a mini-howto to do such a thing?

2. I would like to install MSYS (form what I understood, that is what I need for bash, make and other tools probably necessary to compile other stuff). I might first try binary installation (if that works), though I would like to do source installation first. Is it ok to add a Makefile for it into src/ ?

3. I recall reading somewhere about windows installer being created with MXE, and it seems the project using MXE use that. Can I get some pointers here? I tried downloading toppler source, but see nothing relevant there... (I would put that on the wiki again)

4. Boost is currently compiled --without-python. SHould I aim at providing a special boost-python makefile, or would it be OK to make boost depend on python headers? (Python base installation is relatively small and the compilation takes a minute).

Cheers,

Vaclav