Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package qt: pkg-config files not found

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Package qt: pkg-config files not found
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 12:21:31 +0200

Hi Martin,

Martin Lambers wrote:
Hi,

since Qt is now installed in its own directory tree, pkg-config cannot
find the *.pc files automatically anymore.

Is it really necessary to install Qt into its own tree? Does that mean
that Qt5 will use the same names for library files and .pc files?

The status quo is that it will be necessary to install Qt 4 and Qt 5 into separate directories. However, since I moved Qt 4 into a separate directory in MXE there have have been discussions on the qt development list about changing this. I think we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

If different pkg-config file names will be used, the .pc files could be
moved back to the original tree so that no special configuration is
necessary for pkg-config to find them.

Yes, this is one of the possibilities being considered. The .pc files would get major version specific names so they could be co-installed in the regular pkgconfig directory.

Another possibility is that major version specific names could be used for .pc files, libraries, .prl files, etc to support general co-installation into the same prefix.

Note that this "problem" affects pkg-config, but not qmake which knows where its install tree is.

My recommendation for MXE users who use pkg-config instead of qmake for Qt would be to add the appropriate search directory for pkg-config. See popppler.mk for an example of this.

By the way, for my own projects I prefer to use qmake and its pkgconfig support where necessary.

Mark