Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE packages as APT

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE packages as APT
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:42:40 +0200

Nagaev Boris schrieb:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > This seems to refer to the old package name.  (Since this is just a
> > comment, I merged the pull request nevertheless.)
>
> Fixed in https://github.com/mxe/mxe/pull/742

Already merged by Timothy. :-)

> > Is it possible to perform a very simple check at the beginning
> > of the script?
>
> It is checked:
>
> assert(trim(shell('pwd')) == MXE_DIR,
>   "Clone MXE to " .. MXE_DIR)

Oh, I missed that.  Great!

> /var/cache/apt/archives/mxe-x86-64-w64-mingw32.static-gcc-mpfr_3.1.3_all.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/mxe/usr/share/info/mpfr.info', which is
> also in package mxe-i686-w64-mingw32.static-gcc-mpfr 3.1.3
> dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>
> Possible workaround: add the following arguments to apt-get command:
>  -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite"

This is quite a hack.  We should strive for a proper solution.

I see two problems here:

1) There are documentation and other shared files installed, which we
   don't need.  As already mentioned, we even try to avoid building
   those, but some receipes don't succeed in suppressing that.

   I propose to blacklist certain sub directories such as
   usr/share/info and usr/share/man.  Simply don't put them into
   tar.xz in the first place.

   If developers need docs and stuff, they should simply install the
   native *-dev and *-doc packages.  (which I suppose they already did
   anyway, because you usually develop and debug natively before
   running the cross compiler.)

2) Maybe some packages may install shared files that are actually
   needed for the build.  That shouldn't happen.  All build receipes
   should be already "clean" in that regard.  But in case some package
   I'm not entirely clear on that topic.

For better analysis for those two issues, I recommend to
systematically check all .tar.xz packages and to check which ones
overlap.  (Or, do the reverse: For each file that is "reused", list
all .tar.xz packages that contain it.)

With such data at hand, it would be a lot easier to discuss proper
fixes, and to generate comprehensive blacklists.

Regards,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch