mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] git?

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] git?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:22:05 -0700

> From: address@hidden (Matt Birkholz)
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 01:32:32 -0700
>
> [...]
>
> It occurs to me that I can chop ancient revisions with an option to
> cvsps -- no need to hack the repository. [...]  So I am trying
> release-7-5-0 (circa 2000?), hoping to skim off a healthy share of
> the revisions without stumbling...

git-cvsimport finished without error after approx. 2 hours (while The
East Coast slept).

Does anyone object to me pushing this to git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/
mit-scheme.git?

I am working on a cron job so that it will track CVS daily.

I just realized that I can quickly find the earliest tag that will
work for git-cvsimport.  cvs-checkout fails just as miserably, but
only downloads the revisions for that tag.  I now notice I can
checkout RELEASE_7_3_0, but not RELEASE_7_1_0 or earlier.  I get an
error like this:

    cvs [checkout aborted]: invalid change text in
/cvsroot/mit-scheme/mit-scheme/v7/src/microcode/comlin.c,v

I will re-run the initial git-cvsimport with -r RELEASE_7_3_0 tonight.
If anyone wants to git anything older, we should talk.