mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] string-head!

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] string-head!
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:59:16 -0400

I'd be a lot more comfortable if the run-time system and compiler (and
everything else needed for cross-compilation -- SF, *parser, &c.)
didn't exhibit this subtle issue.  In any case, I thought the point of
STRING-HEAD! was to reduce pressure on the garbage collector, not to
reduce the time spent switching between Scheme land and C land, and we
can reduce pressure on the garbage collector just by using the
primitive SET-STRING-MAXIMUM-LENGTH! if it's available.

Sorry for belabouring this point -- I just don't want to get bitten by
this later on, e.g. if someone ever changes anything in the compiler
to use string ports.