mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] emacs environment questions

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] emacs environment questions
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:54:43 -0500

   Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:13:05 -0500
   From: Derrell Piper <address@hidden>

   I'm using GNU emacs 23.1 (nextstep) on OS X 10.6.2.

   I tried the xscheme that's distributed with mit-scheme, but the
   interrupt frame handling doesn't quite work.  You're not able to go
   up and down stack frames like the manual says you're supposed to.

I tested loading up xscheme.el into GNU Emacs 22.3.1, and it seems to
work for the most part.  `C-c C-u' and `C-c C-x' appear to be broken
(I will look into this), but `C-c C-c' and `C-c C-b' worked for me.  I
don't know what you mean by `interrupt frame handling', but on
evaluating an expression with an error, or on entering a breakpoint
with `C-c C-b', I was able to enter the debugger and navigate the
stack with the usual `u' and `d' commands.

Can you be more specific about your problem?  In particular, you
should specify (1) exactly what you typed (`C-h l' may help), (2)
exactly what you saw, and (3) exactly what you expected to see.  It
would also be helpful to identify and quote the exact part of the
manual that you believe is inconsistent with the behaviour you
observed.

   I realize edwin has an integrated debugger but edwin has its share
   of shortcomings, like not allowing you to define your own key maps.

Nothing in Edwin inhibits you from creating key maps.  Can you be more
specific?  Perhaps you mean that there is no documentation on how to
bind keys?  (Edwin certainly does much less than GNU Emacs, of
course.)

   I'd much prefer to use real emacs 23.

   So I'm just wondering, what do the rest of you use?  Am I missing anything?

I use Edwin for work with MIT Scheme and for mail, and GNU Emacs for
everything else.