mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] For your amusement

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] For your amusement
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:39:27 -0700

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Matt Birkholz
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Joe Marshall <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:11:06 -0700
>>
>> [...]  However, the fixed-point expansion does not have the implicit
>> assignment that the letrec expansion has.  This makes it slightly
>> easier to analyze, and SF is able to report if the name is actually
>> used in the body.  I uncovered a few places in the code where a
>> named-let was written, but the name was never invoked.
>
> Cool; not just an amusement!  You do not want to make this the default
> because you do not have a pretty-printer for it?

That's one reason.  The other is that it seems to slow things down by
a small, but noticeable amount.  I don't yet understand why because
the emitted code looks exactly the same (modulo naming).  Of course
there's no reason to slow things down for *exactly* the same code.

--
~jrm