Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Very curious problem

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Very curious problem
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:57:32 -0700

> From: Joe Marshall <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:35:04 -0800
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Matt Birkholz
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > So I hacked [...]
> >
> > This strategy allows today's master (48c535b) to be built correctly
> > using 9.1.1 -- no hand-made necessary.  Perhaps it
> > will fix your problem too...
> I've been trying very carefully to avoid changing things that would
> make this necessary.  All of us on the devel list can fairly easily
> figure out the steps needed to bootstrap an incompatible upgrade,
> but I figure there may be other users out there that simply download
> the code on occasion and type make.

So... my patch was unnecessary, BUT helpful for a newbie?  It did not
solve your infinite loop problem?

Are you saying the extra work now done by is NOT worthwhile
even if it allows newbie to build from source THIS time?

> Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the problem when I moved some of
> the compiler data from the `node alist' to a slot in the node itself,
> so I wrote the note to aid people that might have gotten stuck.

I don't suppose we can avoid the problem in general, so your note is
bound to be helpful.  I just thought it was crazy to continue building
a new compiler with the old compiler present.

The LIAR/C build MUST take this precaution, yet it also stopped
working mid-January.  When I hacked like I was able to build it with 9.1.1.  I guess the problem was
an incompatibility between the old sf (and/or runtime) and the new