mldonkey-tasks

[Mldonkey-tasks] [task #6498] Allow user identification versus pam/Kerbe

From: Aefron
Subject: [Mldonkey-tasks] [task #6498] Allow user identification versus pam/Kerberos servers.
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 02:17:19 +0000

Follow-up Comment #5, task #6498 (project mldonkey):

Hi, there !

As the discussion appears to be still open, and the status of this task
"just" postponed, I hope no one will be outraged by me waking up a
more-than-a-year-old thread.

Being studying the use of LDAP+Kerberos for my network, I naturally came
across the apps that I use to see the kind of support I could expect for such
features. Which reminds me I absolutely must thank, a lot, anyone who makes
Mldonkey possible, for the awesome application that it is. Runs (almost) every
minute of every day at home, in its own vserver, and I'm very happy about it.

So I naturally found this thread, and searched for the existence of some kind
of PAM-Ocaml lib that could help in such a task. Google led me to Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluggable_Authentication_Modules ), which in
turn led me to OcamlPAM (http://sharvil.nanavati.net/projects/ocamlpam/ ).

This seems a quite young project (it doesn't make a month since version 1.0
has been released), which aims at providing an Ocaml wrapper to the PAM
system... which may be what was missing to ease things, if I understand it
right.

I don't know wether spiralvoice's "To make it clear" statement concerned the
piece of code that OcamlPAM seems to offer, or if it generally concerned PAM
authentication, but it would really be a cool feature, allowing one to use
LDAP, Kerberos or virtually any-PAM-supported-thing, to manage authentication.
I also guess it would be quite an interesting prerequesite to an advanced
multi-user system in MLDonkey.

I really regret not being able to provide some kind of patch (I totally lack
the abilities), but as I came around this interesting piece of information
(ahem... at least, I hope it is), I thought it could be useful to point it
out.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6498>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/