Re: [Mldonkey-users] feature suggestion: forward error correction

From: Christian Brandt
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] feature suggestion: forward error correction
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 02:45:45 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 4. September 2002 13:20 schrieben Sie:

> So why would we want to do this? We have checksums per block and can
> detect errors and redownload the block. So FEC isn't realy needed you
> might think.

 This idea sounds interesting, but why would this be helpfull?

 Uncompletable Files are uncompletable because there is no longer a
complete Copy of the file available. You can't remove that fact by using
FEC, you would rather need an upload-technique which speeds up sending of
rare chunks. But even then you couldn't avoid incomplete files.

 To implement an "everything is complete" one must force the operator of a
client to keep data on his drive. But drivespace is a limited resource and
I think its not a donkeys mission to occupie other people resources based
on complicated assumptions which haven't to do much with "the real thing":
Bandwidth-Utilization.

But then I am just a happy user and not Swamp or mldonkey ;-)

--
Christian Brandt

 life is short and in most cases it ends with death
 but my tombstone will carry the hiscore