Re: [Mldonkey-users] compressed transfer mode

From: Frank Scherthan
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] compressed transfer mode
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:18:09 +0200

Ivo schrieb:
Would that make much of a difference? Most shared files are (should be)
compressed already; would extra compression make it much smaller?
In most cases, the compression will even blow the chunks up!
You know how compressors work?
To compress compressed files will blow them up...

To get about 2% compression you stress your CPU alot! So just let the CPU hang idle and download the already compressed data, with a cool CPU.

I am talking about .mp3, .avi, .divx, .rar.

Who the hell is sharing .txt, .html or any uncompressed data anyway?

I think it is a very very BAD idea to implement compression-algos in P2P clients!

Taros666