Re: [Mldonkey-users] oversized files blasts my diskcapacity!

From: Roland Arendes
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] oversized files blasts my diskcapacity!
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:51:59 +0200

hi Ben Gator,

BG> Tried to copy the mldonkey directory to a new HD and ... it took over
BG> three hours! On the new HD the temp directory in the mldonkey
BG> directory had a size of 51 Gb data!

The fragmentation of the files downloaded with mldonkey are *very*
high. An extra HDD or a partition would be wise. This caused the
long copy process.

BG> so on the old machine a "du -sh temp" did:
BG> 13G     temp
BG> and on the new one
BG> 51G     temp
BG> I ve just copied it?! Is this some kind of magic trick? I mean the
BG> original HD had a size of 20 Gb! How could copy 51 Gb of this?

It could be possible that the old 13G are the "real" data you already
have, and the 38G are "holes" (like Goswin explained a few mails ago).
The don't take any space on the device.

After copying the "holes" are real data (ASC 0).

Try to sum up the filesizes in the old dir from the ls command. You'll
get 51G, too - but only 13G are "really" used. After copying this
information is lost and the files become that huge they used to be
after completion of the download (not perfectly, except you already have
the last byte of every file downloaded).

Both issues are not directly related to mldonkey.

-roland