[Mldonkey-users] P2P via SMTP and Open Relays

From: Christian Brandt
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] P2P via SMTP and Open Relays
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:54:51 +0200

Am Freitag 04 April 2003 16:48 schrieben Sie:
> Ezequiel Martín Cámara wrote:
> > Some or all of the information edonkey exchanges -file lists, search
> > requests and results, file parts- could go in email attachements, so
> > that clients and server don't even have online at the same time for P2P
> > file sharing to succeed.
>
> That's a great idea!
> One more advantage is the way chunks would be propagated: It would be
> done by the mail server which usually has a fast internet connection. So
> all you do to spread a file is sending each chunk ONCE via mail to many
> users...

 Aw, thats plain evil! And would mean TREMENDOUS load for the relaying
mailservers and within some weeks we would see serious ratio concerning
this form of sharing - my local ISP Telekom already has a 1000
message/month and a 32MB/message quota, they could easily say 100
messages/month and 2MB/message or 100MB/month - but then it would at least
make good use of all that GODDAMMED SPAMSPITTING RELAYS - putting them out
for good coz of ZETABYTES of P2P-Traffic - lets call it a
grassroot-movement against spam instead of a P2P-network :-)

 A local group of users once used it in a slightly less aggressive
environment, all participants had local Mailservers on their dial-up-lines
and DynDNS. So we send Chunks of 32MB via our providers relay by CC:
targeted to five recipients with adresses like address@hidden,
address@hidden and so on and thus the transfer should also be
efficient from a providers perspective. Also it cut out quite a lot of
hazzles like different quota at different SMTP-relays/POP3-accounts as only
exactly one noninternal relay was involved. As we all had/have DynDNS-like
addresses lost chunks could simply be ftp'd from the source. We never
though of it as an p2p-solution, even the term wasn't coined back then, but
it was quite efficient for transfering large amounts of data to our
customers.

--
Christian Brandt

 life is short and in most cases it ends with death
 but my tombstone will carry the hiscore