Re: [Mldonkey-users] manually connecting totally fails

From: joon
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] manually connecting totally fails
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:21:37 +0800

At 09:25 AM 5/9/2003 +0200, b8_bavard wrote:

> using 2.04rc1-0 (openbsd) from http://www.gueststars.net/mld-obsd-distros.html
>
>  mldonkey has been relatively well behaved, except for the fact that
>  manually connecting to a server (using 'c <num>' or just 'c' commands in
>  the command line client) doesn't work at all.

The c command only works when there are connections possible. On
OpenBSD, I don't know the maximal number of connections allowed for a
process (and for a select), but it can be the problem.

As an experiment I did the following:

        'kill' (supposed to die properly, but forgets downloads anyway)

        start mldonkey using './mldonkey > mldonkey.log &'

        'vd' (shows no files being downloaded)

from here, mldonkey will connect up to 'max_connected_servers'. disconnecting servers with 'x' and then connecting to new ones with 'c' will work as well. Everything is peachy at this point.

Unfortunately once I do 'recover_temp' and downloads start, mldonkey totally loses its ability to connect to any new servers.

> When (re)starting mldonkey, it will connect to 2, sometimes 3 servers. This
>  number will go down to zero in a few days, and then I'll have to kill
>  mldonkey, restart it and issue recover_temp again.

Do you kill it properly ? Why a recover_temp ?

I issue 'kill' from mldonkey command line...it should die properly, right?

>  I have no idea why I'm able to connect to servers in the beginning, but
>  unable to issue the 'c' command and get any results.

Use 'netstat' to see the number of connections used by mldonkey, and
compare that with the maximal number of connections on your system.

mldonkey averages 100+ connections when downloads are in full swing, but even with 40 connections open, once I issue 'recover_temp' server connections become impossible. Thus I'm not so sure it has anything to do with per-process connection limits (?)

Should I try tweaking options? I'm running whatever default options are, except for max_connected_servers (5), and server_connection_timeout (30).

- b8_bavard (mldonkey)
Homepage: http://www.mldonkey.net/