[Mldonkey-users] Possible Idea for simultaineous inter-network transfers

From: blaz snaz
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Possible Idea for simultaineous inter-network transfers
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:48:16 +1000 (EST)

Hi,
This may have already been thought of, but just in
case...

Say we are downloading a file from client A on ed2k,
which has ed2k md4_hash AAAA, and we notice that the
same IP has a gnutella2 client/plugin running on it,
(because it's mldonkey, sharaza etc) with the same
file shared (same by filesize anyway..) with gnutella2
"hash" BB:BB. Can we safely assume that if the client
is mldonkey or sharaza, these two sources are the same
file?

<get your head around that one...>

If so.......   can we then connect to source client B,
on a different side of the planet, which is gnutella2
ONLY, and download chunks from it's shared file, with
gnutella2 hash BB:BB, knowing from the step above that
it's the same file?

This line of thinking uses connections to
multi-network sources (like mldonkey) to make
"equivelent hash" file links between different
networks, thus enabling download from clients that
have the remote network  only.

Another example of this would be finding a (very new)
mldonkey source, which is sharing the same file on
both the ed2k network, and the FT network...  grabbing
the FT hash (or whatever it uses..) from it, thus
enabling download chunks of the same file from "FT
only" sources at the same time as ed2k sources.

I realise a heap of work will need to be done to
translate between the different chunk sizes etc... but
it's just an idea. (which has probably already been
thought of.. but hey)

thankyou all developers for your hard work in
maintaining mldonkey's position - leaps and bounds
ahead of the others!