Re: [Mldonkey-users] Problem in Bittorrent

From: Christian Roerecke
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Problem in Bittorrent
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:11:22 +0200

Am Dienstag, 27. Mai 2003 08:59 schrieb b8_bavard:
> >  It's working for me, too. But in the first place I forgot to
> >  provide a resolv.conf file. Copying that file into the
> >  chroot-environment solved all my
>
> I just wanted to add that MLdonkey is programmed in Objective-Caml,
> which is very different from C: in particular, there is no pointer
> arithmetic possible, and everything is allocated in the heap, making
> "buffer overflow" attacks (the most usual ones) impossible. Using it
> in a chroot jail is, from my point of view, completely useless
> (moreover, you can compile the code yourself to be sure that there is
> no troyan added in the binaries...)
>
> - b8_bavard (mldonkey)

Hi,

I'm in no way paranoid. My initial problem was, that I couldn't resolv hosts
like www.slsk.org. So my mlnet was limited to the donkey network. Bittorrent
and the like need to know which server to access behind torrentse.cx.

The reason seemed to be that I compile mlnet statically linked on my current
computer, glibc 2.2.x, and run it on my router (so I can't be to paranoid at
all), which sticks to glibc 2.0.7. With name resolving libs from 2.2.x
provided mlnet would segfault. There might be a way to have the libs
(including ld-linux.so) installed in paralell, but  I don't know how to do
that.

In that case Pierre suggested to run mlnet in a chroot environment to overcome
the problems. And finally it worked!

So that's the story behind. I'm not uggesting it might be insecure to use
mlnet.

Great program. Keep on.
Christian