[Mldonkey-users] Traffic shaping

From: Georgi Georgiev
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Traffic shaping
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:21:49 +0900

I saw several posts about traffic shaping mldonkey, but I am looking for a more
simple approach.

I want to, if possible, use an approach similar to what I did with Direct
Connect. I don't like the DC support in mldonkey, so I use dcgui-qt. What I did
is that I added two IP addresses to my eth0 -- 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.12. I also
patched dclib and dcgui-qt to have a new option that allows an IP address to be
specified for outgoing connections. So, my dcgui-qt is now using 10.0.0.12 for
outgoing connections, my NAT router forwards the appropriate DC ports from
the outside to 10.0.0.12 and my bandwidth limiting script looks like this:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:  classid 1:1  htb rate 100Mbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 100Mbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate 350Kbps
tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip src 10.0.0.12
flowid 1:20

This works perfecetly with dcgui-qt.

I wanted to use the same approach with mldonkey so I also forwarded the ports,
that mldonkey listens on, to 10.0.0.12. This way, when the remote user
initiates a connection, the bandwidth cap again applies. Regarding locally
originating connections, though... I don't think there is an option to choose
the IP address for outgoing connections, right? Is somebody able to create a
patch similar to what I did with dcgui-qt? OCaml is not something I feel like
starting to learn.

--
(    Georgi Georgiev   (  Sometime when you least expect it, Love will (
 )    address@hidden     ) tap you on the shoulder... and ask you to     )