RE: [Mldonkey-users] how to upgrade after building new mlnet binariesfro

From: Duka
Subject: RE: [Mldonkey-users] how to upgrade after building new mlnet binariesfrom cvs
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:25:47 +0100

> I am using MLNet 2.5-4 and yesterday I got the cvs and
> compiled it. Following is the structure of my
> directoris:
>
> ~/.mld  --> contains my *ini file, temp dir and
> incoming dir
>

> ~/mld   -->> contains my older binaries (mlnet, mlgui
> etc)
>

> ~/cvs/   -->> contains the newly compiled binaries
> (mlnet 2-5.4+1
>

> I would like to know how to upgrade to new binaries.
> One method is that just overwrite the older binaires
> with new and restart the mlnet without touching  any
> ohter *ini files. I am asking this question so that I
> dont screw up the 5 GB of partial downloads while
> upgrading to new binaries.
>
> Thanking in advance
> Murphy

I do this since early use of mldonkey...

Get cvs and build, copy mlnet-version in /usr/local/mldonkey folder :

drwxr-sr-x    7 mldonkey ju           4096 Nov 26 14:24 .
drwxrwsr-x   45 root     staff        4096 Nov 18 15:05 ..
[...]
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     ju             18 Nov 10 19:30 mldonkey ->
mldonkey-2.5.4-cvs
-rwxr-xr-x    1 mldonkey ju        3131360 May 12  2003 mldonkey-2-0.4
-rwxr-xr-x    1 mldonkey ju        2886323 Apr 20  2003 mldonkey-2-4-rc4

I stop mldonkey, remove the symlink, recreate with the new binary, and
start (don't have to change my boot script), don't touch your ini file.

Never had trouble with my unfinished download, in case of, recover_temp
is the key...

For best use I moved incoming and temp folder on seperate disk, each on
seperate partition, then mrtg (in my case HotSaNIC) can give me good
info about my download process, via web from anywhere...

Good luck.

                Ducingen.