Re: [Mldonkey-users] admin password changes itself

From: Pierre Etchemaïté
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] admin password changes itself
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:55:12 +0200

Le Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:43:20 +0200, Lars Oeschey <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> today I couldn't connect to mldonkey with sancho, it said wrong password
> for user. So I stopped mldonkey, changed the password for the admin user
> to "" and started again. As soon as it ran, the same password was in
> downloads.ini again. Where does it come from? Why does it recover itself
> everytime? And how can I remove it?

It's not passwords, but password hashes that are saved in downloads.ini,
so "" is not a valid value.

http://mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Wiki&pagename=users

> At the same time I couldn't connect to the http port, it just
> time-outed. As I already found a few times earlier, sometimes it seems
> that the thing has it's own life, changing files as it likes ;)

If _any_ syntax error is found in an .ini file, the parser will fail.
Since it doesn't know how to find a next recovery point in file (such
parsers are more complex), reading the remaining of the file is bound to
fail, and all other options will get back to their default value.

That's why editing .ini files directly should be done with extreme care,
if at all (in that case you didn't have much choice, as there's no
command to reset password(s)).

> I would post the version, if I knew how to find out... the usual SysV
> options --help or -v don't work...

$ ./mlnet -v
Current locale of the target machine is UTF-8
Current language of the target machine is FR
The .ini-files are saved in .
Resolving [myboxname] ...done
Resolving [www.mldonkey.net] ...done
MLNet 2.5.30.16.CVS: Multi-Network p2p client (Global Shares  Gnutella  G2
Fasttrack  FileTP  BitTorrent  Donkey)

Or use the "version" internal command