monit-dev

Re: depend take 2

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: depend take 2
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:10:47 +0100

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Hmm, the depend functionality is much better but still does not work
as expected. I'm going to work a bit with on it. In case anyone are
planning doing stuff with changing control.c let me know.

I looked on it too - i think it will be probably better to make it more independent on the rest of control.c. Probably it will be better to use model proposed by Jan for it (dependancy matrix) => build process dependency relationship outside process structure (avoid use of process state variables).

In addition i think (again) that it will be better to use statement "depend foo" as declaration for "slave" processes that they depend on process foo, for example to define that bar depends on foo:

new proposal:

###
check foo with pidfile "/var/run/foo.pid"

check bar with pidfile "/var/run/bar.pid"
depend foo
###

instead of present:
###
check foo with pidfile "/var/run/foo.pid"
depend bar

check bar with pidfile "/var/run/bar.pid"
###

Both methods use same count of statements. Even if there will be N processes dependant on one process, it will require to define N times depend statement (in both methods).

Martin