monit-dev

Re: stuff to work on

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: stuff to work on
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:45:54 +0100

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:

My priority list:

1.) SMTP update (message queue + state machine)
2.) "up" event (ability to notice the bidirectional state transtition)

If you take only one of these it would be great. Especially item 2 has
been requested by a few.

OK, i will look on it.

Item 1, refactoring the SMTP protocol
implementation in sendmail() to use a proper state-machine and
implementing a mail queue is going to be a big job, but it will
probably be fun and a challenge to implement :-)

Yes :)

What do you think about it?

I think the plan sounds good, also if we are going to maintain a queue
of mail messages it will probably require that sendmail() runs in its
own thread (because it can take time to process the queue). put mail() --> [mail-queue] -> sendmail-thread(read-&-send-mail)
You will need to create a work-queue where the alert handler put mail
into a mail queue and sendmail() reads and process mail from the
queue. If the queue is empty the sendmail() thread sleeps on a
condition variable.

Maybe you can use this code for inspiration?

http://www.awprofessional.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={EE21FAD5-7848-4B87-AE8E-A3340E1DD09D}

Under the Source Code link, check: workq.c workq.h workq_main.c. The
URLs are ridiculous long so I don't pass them here.

Thanks for hints, i will look on it :) I'm currently reading OOC (object oriented C): http://www.planetpdf.com/codecuts/pdfs/ooc.pdf - seems quite interesting.

Martin