monit-dev

Re: monit SMTP

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: monit SMTP
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:39:46 +0100

Igor Homyakov wrote:

smtp server is not needed, tiny smtp null mailer only for relay (see
nullmailer, ssmtp, msmtp)

I think this is misunderstand - we don't plan to implement SMTP server in monit. Monitoring software generaly should be as indepent as possible (Christian explained reasons). Monit is and will be SMTP client only.

Proposed SMTP refactoring serves for more secure SMTP client functionality. In the case that all SMTP relays failed, monit will queue messages for later attempt. This way we will not loose messages in the case of temporary problem (for example network outage).

- what if that certain smtp server fails?

yes what if "trusted mail hub" fails ? what if smtp session fails
(timeout) ?

Monit supports more then one mailhub (smtp relay). In the case that no relay is available, monit will queue message and try to deliver it laterr. Again - this is normal for SMTP clients - for examle Mozilla mail will save unsent message for later delivery too.

- what if /usr/lib/sendmail is corrupted?

what if monit died with queued message(s) ?

In the case of crash you can loose data on any system. We will try to design the queuing method as secure as possible.

- what if the mail server config file is corrupted?

what if monit smtp code has security bug ? is this code is well tested ?

Client code will not mean extra security problem. It is passive and already present in monit.

Martin