Re: Plans for the next release

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Plans for the next release
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:51:14 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
I have tried to summarize our latest discussion and I have created a
draft document with our plans for the next major release of monit. I
suggest that we use this as a working document and change it as we go
along (it's in the CVS).

        http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/next.html

Are there any new suggestions or changes anyone on this list would
like to add?

Super :)

Maybe it will be useful to use similar categories as on (for example) http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.0-features.html.

I think it it will be useful to show the status (Planned/InProgress/Done) and maybe developer, that actualy tries to do it.

Maybe next hints:

- rewrite parser of start/stop programs is needed (actualy it supports only following patterns:

1. program -x -y
2. program -x parametr
3. program parametr

- testing modules for LDAP and MySQL, etc. This maybe will require redesign the protocol module schema. It allows now only network oriented services to be monitored and the socket is opened before the module is called. It isn't possible to write service test module by using service API (as LDAP, MySQL, etc.), where the connection (and its resources - socket, etc.) is initialized under the controle of service library. It could be possible to use "low-level" programming instead of API functions, but i think that isn't the best way in that case. In the case that the monitored service uses for example unix-socket or something similar, it isn't possible to use present schema. I realy like the effectivity and simplicity of present schema, but maybe it is to closed for testing hundreds of services and protocols.

- SSL support for monit httpd (as you mentioned in the past)

- support for tcp-wrapper in monit httpd

I'm working currently on virtual host support for http testing module. I will also modify the protocol schema to be more general - support more types of testing modules and to allow to do some extended testing specific to protocol (such as URL request, etc.) I will prepare the LDAP testing module too, so it can demonstrate the argues why change is needed (i think). I hope that i will have it ready to the end of this week, so maybe we can then discuss the (draft) code :)

Cheers,

Martin