Wierd monit/sshd interaction

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: Wierd monit/sshd interaction
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:13:59 -0700

I have monit configured to restart sshd if it dies/gets killed by
accident.  This appeared to be a good idea, except that if monit
restarts ssh, only root can login afterwards; every other user gets
rejected with:

Received disconnect from 2: bind: Permission denied

I'm running monit 2.5, OpenSSH 3.4p1, on Debian 3.0 (aka woody),
Linux kernel 2.4.18.

My monitrc is:

check sshd with pidfile /var/run/
        start program = "/etc/init.d/ssh start"
        stop program = "/etc/init.d/ssh stop"
        alert address@hidden

If I log into the machine in question as root, and restart ssh by hand,
non-root users can then log in fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have a solution?