Re: Wrong alert messages

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Wrong alert messages
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:23:56 +0200 (CEST)

On 7 Aug 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Thomas Oppel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > yesterday I found a misconfigured monit (release 2.5) on one of my boxes.
> > The start/stop init file didn't exist. (Well, forgot to rename the config's
> > default.) With timeout(3,5) this lead to 4 alert messages, after I had
> > killed
> > the certain service:
> > - one 'Program x restarted' and after that in cycles
> > - three 'Program x timed out'
> >
> > The first alert message I consider a bug.
>
> Yes, it's a bug, sort of. If you look in the log file you will see a
> statement like: "Could not execute x". This isn't very helpfull and as
> discussed earlier with Christian this should instead generate an alert
> message. The three timeout messages are strange, I'm not sure why
> those occurs.
>
> BTW, regarding execute problems, we should extend the event types for
> this. At the moment we have 3 event types, CHECKSUM, RESTART and
> TIMEOUT. We should add a new one called EXECUTE (error) which will
> occur whenever monit is unable to execute a start/stop program.
>
> Let's make this a call for discussion: Are there other event types
> monit should include?

MONIT: Maybe all kinds of stuff where monit is in trouble:
* (MONIT STARTUP) can't bind http server, ...
* (MONIT INTERNAL) unknow signals, out of mem, any unplanned exits, ...
* (MONIT HTTP) wrong http request, failed auth, ...

REQUEST: External request (start/stop/restart/quit)

Bye,

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113