Re: [Patch] Proc support for monit (preliminary, alpha^2)

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: [Patch] Proc support for monit (preliminary, alpha^2)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 00:15:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Mark Ferlatte wrote:

> > Monit should not depend on other libraries like libgtop.  Anyways I read
> > though the code of libgtop and it doesn't look nice.  I need to have
> > some specific data for monit, which libgtop does not provide.
>
> I can see your argument for not depending on other libraries (barely),
> but it seems like working within a maintained framework that already
> does a lot of the stuff you need would be more productive (even if you
> keep a private copy of libwhatever in the monit distribution).  But hey,
> it's not my code at all; I just wanted to give you a heads up about the
> BSD issue.

Don't get me wrong.  That was not against you.  Thanx, for the BSD
information anyways.

It's tricky to use libgtop.  The problem is, you are carrying
around quite a lot of overhead for just the little features which monit
can use.  For other uses like top styled progs it might be useful but
I don't see it for monit.

I just had a quick scan through libgtop's FreeBSD sysdeps.  It seems
they use the libkvm to access all the stuff.  I have seen it on
Solaris a while ago, too.

Actually before releasing this feature,  it will gonna have anyways a
possibility to turn it on or off.  Afterwards it needs somebody to port
just the two functions in proc_interface_sysdeps.c to FreeBSD.  I can't
cuz I don't have access to FreeBSD.

My concern right now is to get the actual feature stable and running.
The FreeBSD support just needs a clever guy from the (Free)BSD world
and some lines of code.  The frame is there.

Bye,

C.Hopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113