Re: Automake?

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Automake?
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:02:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Mark Ferlatte wrote:

> Here's a first pass at an autoconf reworking.  This patch doesn't remove
> the ARCH settings yet, it just lays foundation so that they can be
> removed later.

I don't think that the ARCH setting can be removed later.  Esp. my
resource code would be too difficult to implement if you just use
HAVE_.* .  We should think of a peaceful coexistence.

I have just some questions about the automake usage.  I am not used to
it (just if download some software from time to time).  It's of course
to all on the list (no justification of automake in general... just to
monit).

* What are the advantages with it (dev/use)?
* How it the integration process now?  Do I need to encapsulate any
  #include with #ifdef HAVE_.* #endif?
* What includes/features do you consider not system dependent?  What
  has to be checked in configure what not?
* Would you #include now every "non-project" header file in config.h
  instead of c-file itself?
* Do you see any development overhead/speedup in using auto(make|.*)?

A nice weekend to everyone on the list,

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113