Re: FYI: monit status output

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: FYI: monit status output
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:12:41 +0100

"Davide Dente" <address@hidden> writes:

> A simple suggestion: if you add to both the XML and the text output
> the version of the monit daemon (i.e., 4.1.1 or 4.2) it will be
> easier in the future to write parsers that are able to parse the
> output from multiple hosts.
>
> This way, in a medium to big network, if for any reason the output
> format has to change for a new version, you will not have to update
> the collector system and ALL the local monit daemons on every host
> at the same time.

I understand this can be a problem for you guys since you collect the
status, but it's a drag to support both versions. How about doing the
changes in the collector system and support both versions there?

> Other than this, with your simplified output I waorry that we are
> going to lose some useful information. For exemple, as it is Monit
> is very useful for collecting information regarding the available
> space on every monitored filesystem.
>
> Wouldn't be possible to leave this information and simply let the
> parser for mmonit ignore it ?

I would really like for the output "engine" to work on only common
attributes (it makes things simpler). On the other hand I can see how
size may be very usefull. So, okay, I'll add size to services of type
file and device so the output will look something like this:

XML:
        <service>
                <type>file</type>
                <name>httpd.bin</name>
                <status>0</status>
                <monitored>1</monitored>
                <size>57Mb</size>
        </service>
        <service>
                <type>device</type>
                <name>hda5</name>
                <status>1</status>
                <monitored>1</monitored>
                <size>7620Mb</size>
        </service>
TEXT:

The monit daemon uptime: 28d 12m

Process 'apache':       is running
Process 'sybase':       is not running
File 'httpd.bin':       not monitored
File 'access.log':      accessible with size 50Mb
Host 'rhn.redhat.com':  is up
Device hda5:            is accessible size 7620Mb
Directory /etc:         not accessible or has errors

> Please tell me if I could be able to help in any way.

Thanks!

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland