Probing more than once?

From: Stefan Alfredsson
Subject: Probing more than once?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:25:47 +0200

Hello,

I use monit with ICMP to monitor the liveness of remote (a.k.a. some 15
hops away) machines.

I very often get false positives because of lost probes in
the middle network, compared to running monit on the same LAN.

As a workaround, I use the following:

 check host www.myserver.com with address www.myserver.com
   start program = "/bin/true"
   stop  program = "/bin/true"
   if 3 restarts within 4 cycles then timeout
        if failed icmp type echo with timeout 20 seconds then restart
        if failed host www.vhost.com port 80 protocol http then restart

So, three out of four probes would then trigger a timeout event.

This is however a bit kludgy, as fake restarts need to be done to get to
the timeout event. It also take three cycles before discovery.
I also get spammed with 'restart' notifications (but they can be disabled of
course).

Is it possible to do this another way? I would imagine something like

 if three failed icmp type echo with timeout 5 seconds then ...

 where 'three failed' should indicate three consecutive attempts of
probing, and if one of the succeeds, all is well. If all fails, then
report.

Perhaps it can be added to the wishlist? :-)

Regards,
 Stefan