Re: monit unresponsive to status requests?

From: Marco Ermini
Subject: Re: monit unresponsive to status requests?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:51:05 +0200

On 7/15/05, Randy Bias <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jan-Henrik,

[...]
>         I'm working around it, but again, it would be nice if it were a bit
> more interactive while working on starting/stopping processes,
> especially in an environment like ours where you may have other
> intelligent managers using monit as the interface for service control.

Same for me. I don't want OpenView to trigger errors because Monit is
not responsive...
Don't blame me but this is not so "minor" problem IMHO. If you have
first level support 24/7/365 it isn't nice to trigger them uneeded
critical alarms...

>         Actually, this reminds me of another question, that should arguably be
> in a separate e-mail:  Have you considered having monit handle multiple
> PIDs in a file or multiple PID files for a single "service" that has
> multiple processes.  For example, nfsd typically starts up with
> multiple processes.  It would be nice to tell monit:  make sure there
> are always 8 of these running and gave it 8 PIDs to check.  This seems
> like a very useful feature.
[...]

This is what OpenView already did... an this is another reason because
I can't scale Monit in a bigger environment, it is confined to minor
projects by now.

Cheers.
--
Marco Ermini