Re: monit uptime

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monit uptime
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:46:07 +0200

On Behalf Of Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Sent: Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 12:31

On 18. aug. 2005, at 10.48, martin rueegg [metaworx rueegg] wrote:

the daemon uptime in ''monit summary'' or on the
webinterface seems to be the one of the webserver
and not the one of the deamon process itself.

No, it's the monit daemon process. There is not stand-alone web-
server! Monit has a built-in "web-server" which run in it's own
thread in the monit daemon.

well, I realized that. but when I send a reload (''monit reload''
or signal HUP) the httpd (thread) restarts anyway, don't it? and
after that, the uptime is reset. even if the pid of monit is un-
changed and ps shows the correct time for the process.

Yes, that is true. The reason is, a) monit compute the uptime simply by looking at the creation time of its own pid file. b) during a reload, monit recreate its own pid file so the timestamp is changed. c) The pid file is recreated because the location of the pid file may have been changed after a reload.

As the discussion above demonstrate the uptime of the monit process can be "wrong". Although I'm not convinced that this particular situation is so serious that we should throw away the current KISS solution and implement it otherwise.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255