Re: Basic q's abt monit 4.5.1

From: anuj agrawal
Subject: Re: Basic q's abt monit 4.5.1
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:57:21 +0100 (BST)

Hi Martin,

Thanks again for the help extended by u...i really
appreciate this.

Regarding the reply....

I am talking abt a situation in which suppose the
process is running and monit is monitoring it....now i
try to restart the process through monit GUI by
pressing the "restart" button provided.In this case
whats the sequence of events which happen??

This is the situation where im facing problems....as u
already know that my application doesnt generate a pid
file...i had manually created one for monit to
recognise it...hence it could monitor it easily...but
now when i try to restart the process through monit it
gives "execution failed".

I know that appending a line such as "pgrep myprocess
> ..." to the application code would do..but for some
reasons i cant do it now.

Does monit look for the pid file first and then goes
on to execute the "start" method...or it does the
"start" and then the new pid is placed in the already
existing pid file?

In short does monit have the capability to start a
process through itself when the user presses the
"start" button given that it doesnt have the pid of
the process??

Anuj